Monday, January 17, 2011

Day Three:

Day Three:

Guess who's still alive?

I probably shouldn't be joking about this but, so far I haven't heard of one single case of anyone dying yet so I'm still trying to take everything with a grain of salt.

Went to work today and guess what? Entire building was locked. No phone call, no email, not even a note taped to the door saying "Hey, sorry for wasting your fucking time". Nothing. I tried to stay upbeat about it since, a day off is a day off even if it is because of the end of the world but... I don't know.

Skepticism aside, if this is the end of the world it is not what I expected. In the movies you always see people rioting, and then come the National Guard followed closely by the scientists with the cool space suits and darth vader voices. Problem is, in zombie flicks it's always an exponential virus. Meaning Zombie A bites Human B who then becomes Zombie B. Then Zombie A and Zombie B bite humans C and humans D etc etc etc. So there is always time to react, always time to try to fight it.

But if something like that were airborne, with symptoms that developed slow and almost undetected. Well hell, by the time anyone knew what the fuck was going on they would already probably be infected.

Changing subjects, you know what was closed? Walmart. If thats not a sign of the apocalypse I don't know what is. Figured I would get some grocery shopping done and just like my work, it was locked solid. Decided to go to a 7-11 but couldn't find a single one open. In fact, I couldn't find a single store open until I stumbled upon a little hole in the wall liquor store.

The owner was some Indian guy and like me, he seemed like he was doing just fine. Asked him if he had seen anyone else healthy in the last few days and he just shook his head. We both had a good laugh at my grocery selection of 100 liquor store sticks of beef jerky, the last two twelve packs of sprite, a random assortment of chips, chex mix, and cheetos.

Thought about buying some water but, well... even now I still don't believe that people should have to pay for water.

Instead I went home and filled up my bathtub since, I've got two bathrooms. Just in case you know? Saw them do the same thing in a movie not that long ago, maybe it was "The Road". Not sure, but I suppose having a bathtub full of water is better than not having it.

As it stands I'm not sure which is scarier.

The streets full of looters and rioters.
Or the streets still and desolate.

At least with looters and rioters I wouldn't feel so alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment